Thursday, August 21, 2008

Final Round - City Council

Well, I hope it was the final round... I came home last night feeling pretty beat up. I had 5 friends/supporters attend the work session with me. We thought we had hammered out a fair contract. Both sides had made compromises and they conceded on the 3 issues I still had concerns about.

Then as they got to our part of the agenda during the city council meeting that followed, Lynn Durrant (friend, neighbor, and city councilwoman) made it clear that the contract the council had in their hands, was not the same as the one she had forwarded to me, which I had forwarded to those who were there with me. Reid Nelson and Bob and Judy Walton didn't stay for the 7:00 meeting, so I was there with 2 other piano teachers to start from square one again in our negotiations. In the end, I guess I have to be happy with my "victory." The city council vote was 3-2 in favor of the $100 price tag for a 4 hour event - NO cookies. :(

I remain amazed that the process was so difficult and prolonged. The mayor promised that the city will "watch" and re-evaluate in another year. I believe that they are not planning to make it any easier to retain the agreement that they voted on last night. But for now I am very glad to have a period at the end of the sentence.

4 comments:

Devon and Alicia said...

Way to stick with it Karen. I bet you will have a lot of people thanking you.

Judy said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Having been dragged into the 21st century, I must say that I enjoy blogging. It is an easy way to keep track of friends and family.

So sorry we left you at Council meeting to finish up. We honestly thought the work session plan would be passed and that we didn't have to be there.

Thanks for all you've done to push this project along.

www.monologuing.blogspot.com

Keri said...

Thanks, Karen, for going to bat for all of us! I am sorry I was not their to back you up. I should have been. Good for you. AND good for all of us that you took on a hard fight that will benefit us all.
Love you...
Keri

Keri said...

Oops, It's not that I don't know how to use 'there' instead of 'their'...I just can't type. Sorry I was not THERE...