Sunday, October 12, 2008

The next chapter...

Well, for better or worse, things are full speed ahead for my returning to college...!! I can't believe that it has only been WITHIN the last 2 weeks that the thought even occurred to me to look into going back to school. The last 10 days have been crazy full, trying to line up all my little ducks.

I have all the pre-requisite classes done (thanks to my undergraduate work at BYU), but there are 3 "recommended courses" that I feel like I really need to do, to be competitive for the Master's program. I have completed the first assignment in the "Abnormal Psychology" class that I am taking Independent Study. And have realized (with HORROR!) that my only option for completing the Anatomy and Physiology course is with the dreaded Dr. Shively at UVU!! Do any of you remember Kindy's nightmare? But that course is not offered Independent Study by either university, I've missed BYU's deadline for taking it on campus in January, it isn't offered in the summer months at BYU, and Dr. Shively is the ONLY instructor of that class on the Orem UVU campus... Eeeeek!

Anyway, thanks for all your voices of support. I realize this is a huge gamble, but I really feel like I need to give it my best shot. Otherwise, I'll always wonder, "what if..."

Keaton is in New York today. He just spent the last few days with his dad in Washington DC. I'll be glad to have him home on Tuesday! He has a job interview on Wednesday, so he might be working here, very presently...

So... Spiche was a sandwich... Naw! How did that pop up?

But speaking of Spiche... So! I thought, we are probably in her last weeks, right? How long would it take for her to develop urinary crystals again (the reason for her needing a $60/month meal ticket)? I decided I could probably feed her regular dog food and save a bundle of money, and she wouldn't suffer the more for it, right? So the food she's been getting the past 3 weeks is a Pedigree variety - especially for older dogs - with stuff that help their joints. She's still getting her arthritis meds, and... she has a whole lot more spunk than she has in a long while! Hmmmmm....

I am loving the Psychology class I'm taking. I'll share with you of the "headings" for some of the lessons:

It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts... (G.D. Burgin)

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher... (Ambrose Bierce)

If you are going through hell, keep going... (Sir Winston Churchill)

Life's a trip, isn't it? :)

'Can't wait for Thursday... I'm going to Florida!!

4 comments:

Damian said...

Way to go, mom! Can't wait to see you Thursday.

Devon and Alicia said...

We are very excited for you and know that you will do well. Have a blast in Florida, wish we were going with you.

Amy said...

karen, you are an inspiration! we are so proud of you and are so excited to have you here in just a few days. guess that means i have to stop watching oprah and eating bon bons and get to work cleaning my house!

Judy said...

Congratulations, Karen, on returning to school. You're right--it's a little scary, but I have no doubt you will get where you want to be. Psychology, huh? That makes it a bit more scary for me. -:} Have a GREAT time in Florida! It should be beautiful, and should give you loads of that healthy sun.

www.monologuing.blogspot.com