Yesterday I attended my first research and statistics classes. The research methods class has 18 students. One of them is Camille's (Micah) sister! Another student wants to be a social worker with deaf families (does ASL,interpreting etc.) and one student wants to "save the world" in a similar vein as Kryn and Gregan. Another student has 8 children - ages 5-15, including 2 sets of twins. Three other students are also "older" - although I suspect I'm a wee bit older than any of them. So there are more happy commonalities in that class. (As I found with students in my BYU class in the spring).
I have a new (reinforced) opinion regarding Tressa cutting out the answers in the textbook her students will be using this year in her ASL classes. I read the first chapter of my statistics book last night, and I am soooo glad answers were in the text to check my understanding of the questions throughout the chapter! It would have been very frustrating to NOT be able to have immediate feedback as I studied on my own. I'm not sure I buy the argument that "high schoolers" can not use that resource responsibly. It's part of their education... I say, give them that option, and let them experience the consequence of abusing the resource, if that's what they choose to do... Because many of them WILL benefit from it.
Well, I am weeks behind where I wanted to be in my independent study class. And today I begin my gig with Wasatch Mental Health. So hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off....
Summertime!!
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment