Keaton and I just attended the dedication of the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple. Church meetings for the whole of Utah were canceled today so that everyone could attend a televised broadcast of the dedication. We went this morning at 9:00 and Devon and Alicia will attend at 3:00 while the little girls stay here with us.
The talks were all very good. The lights were down, and it didn't seem appropriate to search for pen and paper. But there were at least 3 thoughts that I was particularly impressed with:
1. As youth (or even as adults), we may struggle concerning making wise choices and not being as obedient as we could (should) be. Although those who love us struggle with those decisions, it is the individual himself - or herself - that is going to be hurt the most. When we choose to be faithful, we don't do it for anyone else. We do it for ourselves.
2. It is our choice to be whatever we will be. No one, not even Satan, has the power to determine what we will ultimately become. Only each of us personally.
3. The temple refines us. We are better people when we leave the temple than when we enter it.
I don't remember the names of all those who spoke, but it's always a treat to hear President Monson, President Uchtdorf, and Elder Bednar. I really felt the strength and power of the Priesthood in the services today. I would love to plan a trip to the Oquirrh Temple with Keats, Devon, Alicia, Kindy, and Marty soon!
I learned today that while I was on one of my trips, Ken Swenson was called to be a counselor in the stake presidency! (The spot vacated with President Love's move to Herriman). I had a great visit with him, Debbie, and Reid and Sandy after the dedication. Debbie appreciated getting a "very nice note" from Kindy (regarding their wedding reception).
I loved being able to spend time with my east coast family these past few weeks!!
But I have to say -- there is something very nice about Utah summer evenings. Ava and Aria spent Friday night with me. When it was a little cooler, we spent a long while in the back yard. They loved swinging, playing tetherball, and going down the slide. Ari is the perfect size right now for the little slide and she went up and down over and over. Although the days get plenty hot, I love the cool of the evenings, even on days that have been in the high 90's.
Keats moves to Provo tomorrow. We both start classes at UVU on Wednesday. My statistics textbook arrived yesterday. Last night I flipped through the pages. Pages and pages of numbers and symbols and formulas and stuff and stuff. :( Wish me luck!!
The Church is true!!
Summertime!!
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment