Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Foot prints in the snow!!

Actually, the snow that fell last night has been very "helpful" in scaring the bejeebies out of me. Last night as I was watching the news (between 10 and 10:30), the motion lights in the back of the house came on. The TV was on, of course, but no other lights in the family room. So there was no question about the motion lights on both corners of the house coming on. I thought perhaps it was Levi Stone passing through the yard to shovel Joan's steps. That is very late for Levi, but the snow was 8 inches deep and I thought it a possibility... So I went to bed - finally about 1:24 a.m. (I took time to make my airline reservations to Florida pretty late last night). Shortly after I was in bed, I heard something - almost sounded like it was in the house. But I knew that was impossible. I looked out my bedroom window but didn't see anything. So I finally went to sleep.

This morning when I let Spiche out, there were fresh footprints on the stairs and the back porch - NOT mine! Right to the door and then back down. And there were NO footprints to the back gate that Levi uses to get to Joan's yard. Before I showered, I decided to shovel some of the snow in the driveway. Guess what I found! Tire tracks right down the driveway to the side of the van in the carport. And the same footprints to the front door. (Kinda dumb of whoever did that. There was NO snow closer to the house, but they walked right on the snow...) Police Officer Kirby was just here and took pictures of the foot prints and the tire tracks. He agreed that it was an adult foot print - the same in front and back. And he guessed what kind of tire was on the car...

There have been lots of break ins and burglaries in Salem in recent months. Mostly drug users looking for cash and pills. But he said this is very different than the usual pattern - being in the middle of the night, and in a car...

So there you have it! Just think, if there hadn't been fresh snow last night, I would have been totally oblivious to the fact that I did, indeed, have a late night visitor... I've been careful to deadbolt the doors for even short errands away from home. You can be sure I will be even more so now!

1 comment:

Damian said...

YIKES!! That's crazy. Good thing you were up late getting your ticket to come see us, or else they may have gotten braver. Keep those doors locked!